How to apply

Person holding the University of Salford 2019 prospectus

Applying for an undergraduate degree

We try to make applying to study at the University of Salford as flexible and straightforward as possible. Find out more about how you can make an application, write the perfect Personal Statement and track the status of your application online.

Apply through UCAS

Making an application

The majority of our undergraduate applications are made via UCAS: your school of college should help you access this service, and will give you a buzzword which you will need in order to register. You can also use this service if you’re applying independently, both in the UK and overseas.

When you apply to study a course at Salford via UCAS, you’ll be required to provide the institution codes. Make sure that you enter the codes as below:

Salford institution code name: SALF

Salford institution code: S03

Campus code: there are no campus codes at Salford - please leave this section blank.

You’ll also be asked to pay a fee for your application. Please refer to the UCAS website for more information about costs, and how you can pay for your application.

We accept a number of qualifications, from A/AS levels to BTEC awards, to the International Baccalaureate. To find out more details about the qualifications we accept, take a look at our course pages and select the course you wish to apply for.

All applications should be made via the UCAS website, except for:

Applications for part-time courses and BSc (Hons) Nursing Studies

Applications for post qualifying Health and Social care courses and single modules

Applications for Higher and Degree Apprenticeship programmes

If the above applies to you, please see the below information for other ways to apply.

Other ways to apply

Part-time and accelerated degree courses

Part-time applications are made directly to the University, so you’ll need to complete an undergraduate studies direct application form. You’ll also need to provide two references.

If you’re applying for one of our accelerated courses in the School of the Built Environment, then you’ll need to apply via UCAS. This applies to both the full-time and the day-release versions of the accelerated course, with durations of two or three years, respectively. Only the standard part-time courses of five years’ duration require direct applications.

For more information about our part-time undergraduate courses, please contact our Course Enquiries team on 0161 295 4545.

Higher and Degree Apprenticeship programmes

If you’re looking to apply for a Higher or Degree Apprenticeship programme, then you will need to visit our apprenticeship webpage and contact us via the online form. Applications for apprenticeship programmes do not go through the traditional UCAS system – you will apply directly to the University via a separate application form.

In order to be eligible for a Higher or Degree Apprenticeship you must be employed full-time in a relevant role and your employer must be willing to support you through the programme.

All apprenticeship roles are listed on the GOV.UK website.

Salford Alternative Entry Scheme

If you’ve been out of education for a while, want to further your career or simply want to study in a field that you’re passionate about, the Salford Alternative Entry Scheme (SAES) could be for you.

How can I apply?

Submit your course application as you would normally through UCAS.

We will then recommend you to SAES if you’re eligible (you’ll be notified of this recommendation via UCAS or by our admissions team getting in touch with you).  

Successful applicants will be contacted through SAES about an assessment. 

Find out more about the Salford Alternative Entry Scheme >

Top-up courses

If you are currently studying a foundation degree at one of our partner colleges and wish to top up your award to an Honours degree, you should apply directly to the University by completing our Undergraduate Studies direct application form.

Information about the courses available can be provided by the staff at your college.

Post-qualifying Health and Social Care courses and single module applications

If you are applying for a CPD single module, please complete the appropriate application form below and send directly to the University*. Full details on who to send your application to are indicated on the form. If workplace funded, you will also need to supply a letter from your Trust stating that they will be funding your study.

Level 5 and Level 6 (undergraduate/single module) application form

Level 7 (Masters/single module) application form

*Please note: you will be required to provide two references.

Tips for writing your personal statement


Start to prepare your personal statement early on. Without thinking about a structure, it will be harder for you to collect and organise your thoughts later on. Begin with a mind map and formulate this into a plan to help structure your first draft.


Capture the attention of the reader with a sharp introduction; use positive language to show them you're enthusiastic about your chosen subject. Tell the reader about your skills, and how these contribute to your understanding of the subject.


You've chosen a course and now we want to know why this is the right course for you. What interests you about it? And why do you want to study this subject with us? Showcase your passion and enthusiasm for the degree you're applying for.


Your work experience and interests are also important, as this can highlight why you're the perfect student for the course. Are you part of a club? Do you have an unusual hobby? Entry requirements are transparent, you and your experiences are unique.


Conclude your personal statement by summarising your key strengths, and reiterate that you are ready (both socially and academically) for university life. Be confident, keep it positive, and really sell yourself.


Remember that you don't have an unlimited number of words, so be clear and concise - don't waffle. Don't expect your first draft to be perfect; ask a teacher or careers advisor to check it over for you so that your spelling and grammar are spot on.

Dates for your diary

The normal closing date for applications for undergraduate courses is 15 January 2020 (although if you are at a school or college, they may ask you to complete your application earlier to give them time to prepare your reference).

15 January 2020: UCAS application deadline

25 February 2020: UCAS Extra opens

5 May 2020: Deadline for replying to offers

13 August 2020: A Level results day

Missed the deadline?

Applications received after the 15 January 2020 may still be considered if the course is not full, but this cannot be guaranteed. If you apply late, please check the UCAS website for course availability first.

Contact us

We're here to help support you and answer and queries you may have. Get in touch with our friendly team by emailing or phone +44 (0)161 295 4545.

If you have been dissatisfied with our admissions process, please follow our admissions complaints procedure.