Dr. Yeliz Prior
School of Health and Society
Senior Research Fellow & Programme Lead EPSRC CDT MSc Prosthetic & Orthotic Science
Yeliz gained her undergraduate degree in Occupational Therapy from the University of Salford, and Ph.D. titled “An Epidemiological Study of Self-Care Restriction and Joint Pain in Community-Dwelling Older Adults” from the Primary Care & Health Sciences, Keele University in 2008 and 2013 respectively. To date, Yeliz successfully delivered a number of RCTs, large observational surveys and qualitative studies supported by funders such as the NIHR, Versus Arthritis, MRC, Public Health England and Royal College of Occupational Therapists. Her current research expands to the management of other long term-chronic conditions, foot and ankle rehabilitation, and the use of digital health technologies to enable wider access to health care information and self-management. Ongoing research includes the development and testing of the MSKHUB [an online platform to help people with MSCs to freely access self-assessment and self-management]; SSHUB [an online platform to help Stroke Survivors to freely access self-assessment and self-management]; and projects to include the FAMe Programme [Fibromyalgia Self-Management Group Education Programme] WhyFeetMatter [A digital repository for foot related health information] and studies investigating the impact of RMDs on work participation, such as the Versus Arthritis funded WorkWell RCT [Work Rehabilitation for employed people with Inflammatory Arthritis], WORK-IT [Work Participation in people with Osteoarthritis] and the EULAR funded WorkPROMs [Development and Testing of Work Patient Reported Outcomes Measures].
Yeliz also has a key role within the School of Health and Society as the Programme Lead for the EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) in Prosthetics & Orthotics, MSc Prosthetic and Orthotic Science Programme and supervise research students from wide variety of backgrounds such as rehabilitation, public health and digital health. She is also an Honorary Senior Research Fellow at the School of Primary, Community and Social Care, Keele University. Clinically, Yeliz holds weekly Rheumatology Occupational Therapy clinic at the Mid Cheshire NHS Hospitals Foundation Trust as an HCPC registered Advanced Clinical Specialist Occupational Therapist.
Alongside her academic and clinical roles, Yeliz contributes to the field of Rheumatology as the Vice-President Elect of the British Society for Rheumatology (BSR) and the Chair Elect of the British Health Professionals in Rheumatology (BHPR), and helps to deliver BSR certified Rheumatology courses. Yeliz served as a member of the European League Against Rheumatism (EULAR) Scientific Committee (2016-2019) and continues her involvement with EULAR as an author within the Online Rheumatology Health Professionals Course and as a member of Task Force Groups and leading the EULAR Work Rehabilitation in RMDs Study Group. Yeliz is also a member of Special Interest Groups such as the OMERACT Foot and Ankle SIG and sits at the Editorial Board of the Rheumatology Advances in Practice Journal published by the Oxford University Press, as well as contributing to a number of peer review scientific journals and funding bodies as an article, studentship/fellowship and grant reviewer.
Areas of research
Rheumatology, Rehabilitation, Health-Behaviour, PROMs, Digital-Health
- Investigation of disabilities in daily activities, work and leisure amongst people with rheumatic (RMDs) and musculoskeletal conditions (MSCs).
- Self-management and patient education in long term conditions.
- Self-management of pain, fatigue and depression in people with rheumatic and MSCs.
- Work rehabilitation or vocational rehabilitation of people with long-term conditions.
- Self-management in Fibromyalgia.
- Foot and ankle rehabilitation.
- Use of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) led interventions.
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) for anxiety, depression and stress management.
- Motivational Interviewing (MI) for goal setting and behaviour change interventions.
- Use of digital health technologies to enhance health & quality of life outcomes.
- Patient reported outcome measurement development and psychometric testing.
- PhD Epidemiology
- PgCert Academic Practice [PGCAP]
- BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy
- Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Diploma in Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy
- Diploma in Counselling
- HND Business and Information Technologies
- Fellow of Higher Education Agency (FHEA)
- Full Member of Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Full Member of British Health Professionals in Rheumatology (BHPR)