Using other libraries
SCONUL Access is a scheme which allows many university library users to borrow or use books and journals from participating university libraries in close proximity to where you live or work. Further information is available from the SCONUL Access website.
- Part-time, distance learning and placement students may borrow material from other college or university libraries
- Full-time postgraduates may borrow material from other college or university libraries
- Postgraduate research students registered for a PhD, MPhil or similar qualification may borrow material from other college or university libraries
- Full-time University of Salford undergraduate students may use resources of other college and university libraries for reference only
To register for SCONUL Access:
- From the SCONUL Access web pages, specify which type of user you are and your home institution (University of Salford).
- Identify the institution you wish to use (tip: select ‘see results as a list’ to view all 162 participating universities and colleges).
- Complete the online application form.
You will need to complete an application for each institution you wish to use.
Once you have filled in the online application form, and your application is approved, we'll send you an confirmation email introducing you to your chosen host library/ libraries. This introcutory email is only valid for a short period to ensure users are still eligible. If you don’t use the introductory email within this period, you will need to apply again.
You need to take a copy of the introductory email with you when you visit your chosen library, along with your University of Salford ID card. This will allow other libraries to identify you.
You should check the website of the library you want to visit for their opening hours and other specific conditions. For example, your first visit may need to be during office hours or you may need to supply a passport sized photograph.
The host library should issue you with a library card, which will allow you to use facilities until your SCONUL Access membership expires. The membership can be valid for up to three years or until your course or contract ends if earlier.