Erasmus+ for incoming students

Students studying together in Chapman Building.

We’re a proud member of the Erasmus+ mobility scheme and have taken part in the programme for many years. Please see our Erasmus+ Charter of Higher Education and our Policy Statement for information.

We can support the mobility of students between programme countries for both study and work purposes, so if you’re considering joining us, take a look at the options below to explore the opportunities available to you.

Mobility for studies and training

Mobility for studies

With the Erasmus+ programme, you'll be able to study with us for either a trimester or a full academic year, depending on the inter-institutional agreement between us and your home institution. You won't need to pay any fees to our University and may also be entitled to receive some funding from your home institution aimed at supporting your living costs here in Salford. 

Erasmus+ exchanges are based on study cycles and subject areas, meaning that, for example, an undergraduate politics student from a partner university could study politics at undergraduate level with us.

Before you apply, you must make sure that your institution is participating in the Erasmus+ scheme. Your university also needs to be a partner of Salford, i.e. an inter-institutional agreement between the two universities must be in place. Check our list of partners to see if we have an Erasmus+ agreement with your university in your study subject. If you do not see your university in the list, you will need to speak to your home university about alternative destinations.

If you're accepted

If you're accepted to study with us, your exchange coordinator (listed in your official acceptance letter) will get in touch with you to discuss module selection a few weeks before the start of the trimester. It's important that you discuss your choices with your academic advisor at your home university, to ensure that the modules you will be studying here are approved for credit transfer. 

It may sometimes be possible for you to take one or two modules outside of your subject area, although this will need to be approved by the academic tutors at both institutions. You may also be able to change, add or drop modules at the start of your studies with us, but this will be subject to availability and will need to be agreed with your link tutor on arrival. You will also need to ensure that any changes are approved with your home university and amended on your Learning Agreement.

Please note that your Learning Agreement must be signed by both your link tutor at Salford, and your academic advisor back home. 

Mobility for training

Traineeships for students involve spending time in an enterprise, organisation or higher education institution in another country, with a view to gain specific skills and competences required by the labour market. Your traineeship should also be relevant to your programme of study.

Our University can act as a host, provided that you are registered in and studying at a university holding an ECHE. Unlike Erasmus+ mobility for studies, an inter-institutional agreement between the two universities is not required.

Eligible student traineeship activities include: traineeships embedded in the curriculum (counting towards the degree), voluntary traineeships (not required for the degree) and traineeships for recent graduates.

Your eligibility to study with us

Your home institution will select students for participation in the Erasmus+ programme and discuss your options with you. They will also manage your Erasmus+ mobility and, if you’re successful, pass your details to us.

In order to be eligible to study or gain work experience with us, you must also meet our entry requirements, which differ between programmes of study.

English language requirements

Our English level requirements are set in our inter-institutional agreement with your home university. Students undertaking mobility for training are expected to have English language to the minimum B1/B2 level.

If you are a non-EU student applying for a Tier 4 Visa, you are required to provide us with the International English Language Testing System for United Kingdom Visas and Immigration (IELTS for UKVI) certificate. Please note that no other English certifications will be accepted. Please visit the British Council website for further information.

If you are applying for a Short-Term Study Visa, you do not need a UKVI IELTS certificate for visa purposes. However, we might ask you to provide a valid English language certification in order to ensure that your language level reflects the expected standard.

Please also check with your home university as to whether they have any requirements you have to meet in order to be eligible to study or work abroad.

How to apply

Selection and nomination is made by your home institution once they confirm that you are able to take part in the Erasmus+ programme. Nominations must be submitted by your home university’s International Office using our online form. See below for more information.

Please note that your application will not be considered if we have not received a valid nomination from your home university’s International Office.

Application information


At this stage, we will only require some basic information about you, what you are currently studying and what you would like to study here at Salford. This information will be passed on to the relevant school and a decision will be made on whether your nomination is accepted or rejected. If your nomination is rejected, you will not be invited to complete an application form. Your nomination may be rejected for the following reasons: your chosen course is already fully booked, or your chosen course does not match your previous education.

Nomination deadlines

  • If you apply to study for a full academic year or trimester 1: 1 April 2019
  • If you apply to study for trimester 2: 15 October 2019

Your application

If your nomination is accepted, you'll be asked to complete an application form. You'll also need to provide us with a copy of your passport or ID card and an official transcript of records (a certificate issued by your university listing your course(s) and grades). If you are a non-EU student applying to study with us for a full academic year, you'll also need to submit a copy of your English language certification.

Your application, together with your transcript, will be reviewed by the relevant school. Our admissions team will also check your documentation. Once we have confirmed that you meet our entry requirements, we will provide you with an acceptance letter and further information on the next steps. Your exchange coordinator will then be in touch to discuss your module choices.

Please do not book accommodation or flights until you receive an official acceptance letter from us.

Application deadlines

  • If you apply to study for a full academic year or trimester 1: 1 May 2019
  • If you apply to study for trimester 2: 1 November 2019

Status of your application

  1. We receive your nomination from the International Office at your home institution.

  2. Your nomination is forwarded to the relevant school for approval/rejection.

  3. We will inform you of the outcome of your nomination. If your nomination is accepted, you will receive an email from us with a link to our online application form.

  4. Your application is forwarded to the relevant exchange coordinator for approval/rejection.

  5. If your application has been accepted by the exchange coordinator, we will pass on your details and documentation to the Admissions team.

  6. If the Admissions team are satisfied with all the information and documentation provided, your details will be logged onto our system and you will be assigned a student ID number.

  7. We will generate an official acceptance letter for you, including your student ID number.

  8. You can now book your flights and accommodation.

  9. Your exchange coordinator will contact you a few weeks before the start of the trimester to discuss module choices.


Get in touch

For more information about the Erasmus+ programme, or if you need further advice or support with the application process, please email


How many modules will I take?

A regular undergraduate course requires three modules to be studied per semester.

What if I need to take an additional module?

You may need to study an extra module to meet the requirements of your course at your home institution. If this is the case, let us know so that we can try and make the necessary arrangements.

How do I find accommodation?

Our accommodation is managed by our accommodation partners Campus Living Villages (CLV), and there are two options for you to choose from: Peel Park Quarter, or John Lester and Eddie Colman Courts. Please note that accommodation on campus is not guaranteed for all visiting students due to very high demand. You will only be able to apply for student accommodation once you have been officially accepted and provided with an acceptance letter containing your student ID.

For more information about our accommodation, as well as living off-campus, visit our accommodation page.

We strongly advise that you do not sign a contract or pay any money until you have viewed any private accommodation in person.