Coronavirus information for prospective International students

Coronavirus advice for staff and students

This page was updated on 10/06/2020

We have created this page for all of our prospective international students and offer holders who want to study at the University of Salford in 2020/21. Whether you are interested in applying, have already applied or have an offer to study with us, we understand you may have concerns regarding the global outbreak of Coronavirus (Covid19).

We are working hard to find solutions to concerns that you may be facing. We will keep this page updated with answers to your frequently asked questions, and give you the latest advice as the situation develops.

The health and wellbeing of our students, staff and partners is our number one priority. So, we are taking advice from the UK government, Public Health England and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and taking the necessary steps to keep our vibrant community safe.

We are aware of fake news reports being circulated on social media. Please ignore these fake reports and instead keep checking our advice on this page and on our official social media channels for the latest information. 

If you are a current international student please refer to the advice on the student hub here.

Find our latest advice for prospective international students below, this will include information about: 

  • The UK and the University of Salford’s response to COVID19 
  • General information and teaching
  • Applications
  • Academic requirements
  • English language requirements
  • Pre-sessional English courses
  • Scholarships and discounts, tuition fee deposits 
  • CAS, ATAS, Tier 4 and visa information
  • On-campus accommodation

You also find the latest information and answers to your frequently asked questions by watching this recording of our live Q&A event from 4 June.


About the UK's response to COVID19

What is the current situation in the UK concerning COVID19? Is it safe in the UK?

The UK Government asks citizens to stay alert to the threat of COVID-19, including to stay at home as much as possible, protect the NHS (National Health Service) and save lives.

This advice includes to stay at home as much as possible, work from home when possible, limit contact with other people, keep a 2-metre distance from other people, and wash your hands regularly.

It is also compulsory to wear a face-covering on public transport in England. You will be breaking the law if you fail to do so and could be fined.

On arrival in the UK, travellers are required to provide their journey and contact details and self-isolate for 14 days.

The UK Government continues to update citizens via text, email and the website.

A new set of changes is also planned for 4 July. For information, please check the official Government’s guidance.

General information and teaching

What is the start date for courses in 2020-21?
The University of Salford’s academic year 2020-21 will start on 28th September 2020.

Our Welcome team is busy planning a combination of virtual and socially distant welcome and induction activities to help you settle in and take your first steps with us. We will communicate the plans to you as soon as we have confirmation of this.

How will teaching take place safely?
Please be reassured that providing our students with a hands-on, practical learning experience is something we strongly value at Salford. We aim to give you as much of a normal campus experience as possible, whilst keeping within government safety guidelines. Whilst in September, things will not be exactly as they once were, we are striving to create an environment that ensures your safety whilst maintaining that hands-on learning environment.

Timetabling whilst ensuring physical distancing is a big challenge for all universities and we want to get this right for you. We expect that larger lectures and seminars will be online, you’ll be able to watch these sessions live or at a time that suits you.

Alongside this there’ll be discussion opportunities where you can ask questions and interact with your lecturers and other students, combined with on-campus smaller face-to-face sessions to talk through and test your understanding and carry out practical work.

If I am not able to arrive in time for the start date, what are my options?   
You may be able to arrange a late registration date. Please contact the International Office with your name, university ID (which starts @00) or UCAS number, course of study and email for advice. 

If you have applied for a postgraduate taught programme you may be able to defer to an alternative start date. More information coming soon.

When is the campus reopening?
From this month, we’re doing a slow, phased reopening of our campus. Each building is being readied for the return of teaching and learning from September. It’s critical for us to ensure that our staff and student community is safe and that we are adhering to all relevant government advice. As you’ll know, guidance is changing on a regular basis and we’re working to this as and when it becomes available, making the necessary changes that are required.

Will I still be able to meet you at events in my country? 
At the moment we have suspended all travel and so in-country events will not be running. Our international team have been running a series of online events instead, please find the details of the upcoming events here.

Our in-country representatives and education consultants are working from home and still able to support you with advice and guidance. Please find their contact details on your country page, within this section of the website

If you haven’t already done so, you may like to join our 2020 Applicant Facebook Group where you can meet your course mates and can explore shared accommodation opportunities with other students.


How quickly will you be able to process my application?
As our admissions team members are working from home there may be a slowdown in our turnaround time. The team relies on multiple systems for processing applications and decision making and we are currently working to ensure all team members gain access to these systems. We thank you for your understanding and patience during this time. If you would like an update on your application, please get in touch with us.

Pre-sessional English Courses

Are there any changes to the Pre-sessional English programmes?
There have been some changes to the delivery of our Pre-sessional English courses for 2020. Due to the disruption caused by COVID19, all teaching will now take place online. Please read this document for more information.

I have an offer for the Pre-sessional English course, but due to COVID19 disruption, I am unable to take the UKVI IELTS.  Do you accept any other English language qualifications?  
Due to the disruption of COVID19, we have updated Pre-sessional English Language to be taught entirely online.  
You no longer need a SELT (Secure English Language Test) such as a UKVI IELTS, in order to apply for a Tier 4 visa.   
You can confirm your entry with any other approved English Language qualification. Please visit our English Language requirements web page for more information. 

Academic requirements

My high school exams have been cancelled. How does this affect my offer to study an undergraduate course at Salford?
We know that some high school exams have been disrupted. Please contact us with your individual situation, including your school, exams dates or dates of alternative arrangements, dates of results or if there are no alternative arrangements. We will then be able to advise on the next steps based on the most up to date information.

In the meantime, we advise you to continue making plans to start your degree at the University of Salford in Autumn 2020 and meet as many of your conditions as possible.

I am an undergraduate student and my university exams have been cancelled. How does this impact my offer to study a postgraduate course at Salford? Most universities have arrangements to ensure students receive alternative assessments or grades. Please contact us at to tell us which university you are studying at, what are the changes to your exams, if there are any alternative assessments, and when you expect to get your results. Once we have this information, we will be able to advise you on the next steps.

Due to the continued COVID19 situation, I am unable to provide a written reference, can you help?  
If your offer of admission included a condition for a written academic or industry reference, and you are unable to provide this, the condition will be removed. Please contact if you want to confirm the conditions of your offer. 

English language requirements

I have an English language condition on my offer letter, but all English language test centres are closed.  
To give reassurance to our applicants, we have further increased our extensive list of English language tests you can take online from your home and we will accept as proof of English language for above degree level (for bachelor's and master's). Please visit our English Language requirements web page for more information.

I have an offer for a bachelor’s / master's degree and have a condition to pass an English language qualification. Due to COVID19 disruption, I am unable to take the UKVI IELTS. Do you accept any other English language qualifications?
For entry to our degree programmes (and courses above degree level) the University of Salford accepts a number of English Language qualifications, which can be accepted for entry to your degree and used for apply for a Tier 4 visa. We now accept a number of online tests that you can take, including Duolingo, Salford Languages Online English Test, and TOEFL Home Edition. Please go to our web page on English language requirements to find out more.

I have an offer for an International Foundation Year and have a condition to pass an English language qualification. Due to COVID19 disruption, I am unable to take the UKVI IELTS. Do you accept any other English language qualifications?  
For entry to our International Foundation Year, because it is below degree level, you must have a Secure English Language Test, such as a UKVI IELTS in order to apply for a Tier 4 visa.   
This is a requirement of the Home Office and cannot be changed by the University.  
Some English Testing Centres are now resuming services. Visit the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) website, the Pearson Test of English website or the LanguageCert website for more information on tests and how to book.

Scholarships, discounts and tuition fee deposit

Do you offer any scholarships to international students? 
Yes. Over the past five years, we have awarded more than £5 million in scholarships and bursaries to support high-achieving international students. You could be a scholarship award winner. Find out more at  
I have a scholarship offer for the June 2020 intake, but I have deferred to September 2020. Will my scholarship offer still be valid?  

Yes. Your scholarship offer will be automatically deferred to September 2020 and we look forward to welcoming you.  

I have a scholarship offer for the September intake, but I have deferred to January 2021. Will my scholarship offer still be valid?  
Yes. Your scholarship offer will be automatically deferred to January 2021 and we look forward to welcoming you. 
Do you offer any discounts from the tuition fee? 
Yes. If you choose to pay in full, we offer a prompt payment discount of 3% on the net fee remaining after any scholarship has been applied.  
If you pay your tuition fees in full, you are advised to pay the net amount minus the 3% discount before you apply for your CAS as this can show positively on your visa application.  
I have an offer and I have paid my tuition fee deposit to start in September 2020. However, due to concerns on COVID19 I would prefer not to travel and study away from home. What are my options? 
You have the option to defer to the next intake. However, the University of Salford understand the changing position of COVID19 and should you be unable to continue with your application for courses in 2020/21 due to any COVID19 concerns, your tuition fee deposit will be refundable before you confirm for your Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS). Please send an email to  including your name, student ID number, course you have applied for and state if you would like to defer your offer or request a refund of your deposit.   


CAS, ATAS, Tier 4 and visas

Are Visa Offices open for applications? 
Some UK Visa Application Centres (VACs) are resuming services, where local restrictions allow. For updates to the status of VACs, contact: 
TLS Contact if you’re in Europe, Africa and parts of the Middle East 
VFS Global for all other countries 
Please be aware, ongoing global restrictions mean some UKVI services will remain closed. You (the applicant) should contact your local VAC to find out the latest status. 
Can you issue a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)?   
We will begin to issue CASs once all the UK Visa Application Centres (VACs) are open and operational and not before 90 days before the start date of term.  
This will ensure that if there are any updates from the Home Office, we can advise you in the best way and ensure you are prepared.  
Please continue to work on the academic, English language and finance conditions of your offer. You will then be in a good position once CASs are issued.  

I need an ATAS. How do I apply?
You must apply to the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) at  
Applications are now being accepted and there is up to a 30 day wait so please make your application as soon as possible to meet the conditions of your offer.

When will there be any more details on the new Graduate Immigration Route (post-study work visa)? 
The UK Government’s immigration update in April confirmed that a new graduate immigration route will be available to international students who have completed a degree in the UK from summer 2021. You’ll be able to work, or look for work, in the UK at any skill level for up to 2 years. You can find more information on the UK Governments factsheet; Graduate Immigration Route.


On-campus accommodation

When can I move into Campus Living Villages accommodation?
Students will be able to move into their accommodation from 14 September, though certain measures will be introduced to ensure the safety of both our students and staff.

If you have booked and confirmed your accommodation, you will receive an email from our partners, Campus Living Villages, in August to book a time slot for your arrival. It is important that you confirm your time of arrival as we will be working to ensure the safety of everyone involved.

We are currently advising that students moving into their accommodation are assisted by only one person, so that we are able to maintain social distancing. We understand that, under certain circumstances, some students may require more assistance, so please do not hesitate to contact us as they will be assessed on an individual basis.

If you have any further queries, please email

Can I still book a room?
Yes, we still have rooms available for undergraduate and postgraduate students at John Lester Court which can be viewed here.

Peel Park Quarter, which is available for undergraduate students has no more rooms available. However, if there are any cancellations, we will release the spaces back onto the website every Thursday at midday.

If you haven’t seen our campus accommodation before, please get in touch with us as we have videos of each room category so you can virtually view them.

How can I stay safe?
We are following government and Public Health England advice and guidance to ensure the safety of our students moving into campus accommodation.

Our accommodation partner, Campus Living Villages (CLV), are working to provide each of you with an online induction to ensure we can maintain strong hygiene standards throughout. CLV will also ensure all communal and busy areas are cleaned and sanitised regularly and have introduced hand sanitising stations across the accommodation buildings.

If you begin to display any symptoms and are required to self-isolate, the CLV team will be there for you every step of the way, from providing food parcels to arranging cleaning to looking after waste.

What support is available to students in campus accommodation?
Campus Living Villages (CLV) works closely with our askUS student support service to ensure you are supported as you move in and with any changes you may experience whilst away from home. The CLV and askUS services are currently being developed online to ensure that support is accessible for everyone wherever and whenever they may need it.

Need more support?

If you have any questions which aren’t covered here, please email our friendly international team at who will be able to support you. We will continue to add more frequently asked questions to this page as they are received.

We thank you for your patience and understanding during this time and we are sending our support and well-wishes to everyone around the world.